Words are powerful things. As a reader and a wanna-be writer, I know this to the core of my being. Words are everything. So much can be packed into a line – emotion, love, finality, consequence – and I think this is why there are some lines of literature I’ve simply never been able to shake.
Obviously, choosing your “favorites” of anything can be a task. When it comes to books and literature, the options are endless, and the beautiful language abounding makes it extremely difficult to make a definitive list of one’s all time favorite quotes. However, these quotes I have chosen made a resounding impact on me the moment I read them, and lived on in my mind and heart even years later. I think it is sometimes possible for a single quote to make an entire book, and the quotes I list below are of that kind.
So without further ado, I give you my 15 favorite quotes in literature:
1. “Before I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
2. “Even a broken heart doesn’t warrant a waste of good paper.” Dodie Smith, I Capture the Castle
3. “Books are cold but sure friends.” Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
4. “Even the darkest of nights will end and the sun will rise.” Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
5. “I am no bird, and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
6. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
7. “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
8. “What are men to rocks and mountains?” Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
9. “Take the Adventure, heed the call, now ere the irrevocable moment passes!’ ‘Tis but a banging of the door behind you, a blithesome step forward, and you are out of the old life and into the new! Then some day, some day long hence, jog home here if you will, when the cup has been drained and the play has been played, and sit down by your quiet river with a store of goodly memories for company.” Kenneth Graham, The Wind in the Willows
10. “All this he saw, for one moment breathless and intense, vivid on the morning sky; and still, as he looked, he lived; and still, as he lived, he wondered.” Kenneth Graham, The Wind in the Willows
11.“Onward and Upward! To Narnia and the North!” CS Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia
12. “Girls aren’t very good at keeping maps in their brains”, said Edmund, “That’s because we’ve got something in them”, replied Lucy.” CS Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia
13. “Narnia! It’s all in the wardrobe just like I told you!” CS Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia
14. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.” JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
15. “And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.” F Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
I hope you enjoyed this list! What are your favorite quotes from literature? Tell me in the comments!