Anymore, it seems like people, when encountered with a gift-giving situation, decide to take the easy way out – gift cards or cold hard cash. While I don’t think there is anything wrong with cash gifts (there is a lot of flexibility there), it does make me kind of sad that the thoughtfulness has gone out of gift-giving. Thoughtfulness, I think, is the essence of a gift.
Note: thoughtful does not have to equal expensive. Some of the best gifts I’ve received have been handmade. Etsy is also a great option for those of you who simply aren’t crafty or don’t have enough time to be.
With graduation and Mother’s Day approaching, gifts are in most of our futures. So I have compiled a list of thoughtful gift ideas just to get the juices flowing. Here goes it.
- Instead of a bouquet of fresh flowers, why not make (or buy) a bouquet of flowers that will last forever? Such as this bouquet of paper ranunculus.
- A book. When did giving a book as a gift become uncool?? Books are chuck full of thoughts! Think about the person who is receiving the gift. Do they like to cook? COOKBOOK. Do they like history? AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY. Do they enjoy nature? BIRDWATCHING GUIDE. It’s easier than it seems, guys.
- On a similar vein, if your person is an avid reader, get him/her something book-themed. If I had received this Nancy Drew brooch as a kid I probably would have died with delight. Likewise, book-themed candles, book jewelry, purses made out of books, purses made out of book spines, basically anything to do with books will satisfy the soul of a bookworm more than anything else.
- Maybe the person you are buying a gift for is a foodie. If so, there are a lot of great options out there. I have a line of fruit and veggie bobbie pins and food pun art in my Etsy shop (found here) but there are literally TONS of food-themed items to search through on Etsy. I particularly love these fig earrings and this kitchen herb print.
- Lastly, I would suggest thinking about the things they obsess over. Be it Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Parks and Recreation, or the Royal Family, you are sure to find something suitable to their needs.
1. Beatrix Potter Coin Purse, Bagsy Me First on Etsy, $34.52 // 2. Fig Stud Earrings, Doll Food Miniatures on Etsy, $38 // 3. Espresso Patronum Print, Indie and Company on Etsy, $10+ // 4. Botanical Blueberry Necklace, Htozkaya on Etsy, $50 // 5. Six Paper Ranunculus, Adorn Flowers, $42 // 6. Ron Swanson Key Chain, Peachy Apricot on Etsy, $8 // 7. Get Out There Typography Throw Pillow, Belles and Ghosts on Etsy, $36+ // 8. Old Books Scented Soy Candle, Frostbeard on Etsy, $15 // 9. Novel Literary Floral Purse, Whimsey Books on Etsy, $23.50