Somehow Thanksgiving snuck up behind me and clobbered me this year. Don’t ask me how it came so swiftly, because, honestly, I can’t believe a year has already passed since the last one.
The smells of turkey and stuffing and sweet potatoes and pie have got me to thinking a lot about last Thanksgiving and all the events that have occurred between this one and that one. My life is quite a bit different now. For one, I’m celebrating the holiday in below-freezing weather, where as last year I’m pretty sure I was in shorts. But that’s just a minor thing.
There have been a lot of firsts for me this year, and I’m thankful for every one. Let me just name a few for you:
- Last Thanksgiving was the first time I ever made a stuffing-filled pumpkin. It was delicious.
- In December I got engaged. On a lovely sunny picnic. 🙂
- I moved to Iowa. The last time I lived in Iowa I was an infant. It’s dang cold up here and I have not gotten used to it
- Spring semester was the first time I’d attended a school in Iowa. Now I’ve been to schools in Kansas, Ohio, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Canada.
- I got stuck in a snow drift. While I cannot be directly thankful for this regrettable experience, it is a good story to tell. And I am sooooo grateful that it happened right next to my grandparents’ house.
- I got stuck in ditch. Another awful snow occurrence, but this one happened basically in the same place. And it makes the first story even funnier.
- I started a blog. Okay, so Consider the Peel technically isn’t my first blog, but it’s my first blog that counts.
- I bottle-fed a baby calf. 🙂
- Kitten in a flower pot. Enough said.
- Spring semester was the first time I skipped more classes than I attended while still managing to receive an A in the class. That was Geology 100, or Rocks for Jocks as it is popularly known.
- I nannied three small children full time.
- I graduated college. YAY.
- I got married. YAAAAY.
- I went to Nashville then North Carolina for the first time. Both beautiful places.
- I stole apples off an apple tree.
- I went to an NFL game. That means football. I went. To a football game. That’s big stuff.
- I got to see the place where F. Scott Fitzgerald was born (in St. Paul).
- I went to the American Girl Doll Store.
- I bottle fed then hung out with the coolest baby deer on the planet.
- I opened a business – Peels and Posies on Etsy.
I’m sure there are a thousand more awesome firsts I experienced this year, but these 20 are good for now. I really am grateful for all of the new things that happen in my life. I used to be afraid of change, but recently I’ve realized that change is absolutely imperative for growth – not only in yourself and your character, but in Christ.
This Thanksgiving (even though it is my first one ever not with the Robbins’ family, and not as a Robbins anymore) I want to give thanks for my amazing family who shaped me into the woman I am today. Without all the grueling hours of family meals, weird conversations, arguments about clothes with my sister, long car rides, and years of being stuck under the same roof with them, I would not be me. Mom, Dad, Andrew, and Mickey, I miss you guys so much!
Happy happy happy Thanksgiving, everyone. ❤