My week in Texas was lovely, but I am now safely returned to the land of cornfields. Before I left the trees were still barren and only the grass looked like spring. Now, though, the trees are thick with spring green leaves and flowers are blooming, filling the air with sweet fragrances. Yesterday morning I went on a run and almost cried at the sight of some purple blossoms on a bush. Iowa is absolutely breathtaking in the spring – this is what I have been waiting for all winter!
It’s approximately a thirteen hour drive if you take the pretty route from my Texas home to my Iowa home. I can’t complain about the drive, though, because it’s full of pretty sights and interesting stops. My lifelong dream of petting a deer came true in Heavenly, Arkansas, where four deer were fenced in in the middle of the tiny downtown. The deer came right up to me and licked me. If my car wasn’t so full of stuff, I definitely would have taken one home.
The hills of Arkansas were also cause for pause. I come from flatlands, so hills like that truly take my breath away.
Buuuuut moving on. Now that I’m home I finally have time to share for you this delicious recipe my sister and I concocted for our Nana, Grandma, and Mom on Mother’s day: Lemon Poppyseed Avocado Cake. Once again, I sing praises of avocado. It replaces the healthy fat for the disgusting fat. It makes the cake really moist. There is no leftover, awkward avocado flavor. Etc etc.
I don’t think I’ve ever published this information on my blog, but lemon is probably my favorite flavor in the whole wide world. I mean, I am obsessed with lemon. This cake is great because it’s like a marriage between lemon poppyseed muffin and lemon poundcake – what could possibly be better than that?
Lemon Poppyseed Avocado Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Strawberry Greek Yogurt Icing
2 cups flour (one whole wheat, one all purpose)
2 mashed avocados
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tsp lemon rind
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp poppyseeds
For curd filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla
For the strawberry Greek yogurt icing:
1 cup Greek yogurt
6 or 7 large strawberries, pureed
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two round pans. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppyseeds in a bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, with a mixer blend avocado, honey, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and eggs until well mixed.
2. Gently combine liquid mixture with flour mixture. Fold in lemon rind and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
3. For the curd filling: In a sauce pan over medium heat, dissolve sugar into lemon juice. Add rind. In a separate bowl, whip the egg. When sugar is dissolved, slowly add it to the whipped egg, stirring constantly. Beat for two minutes then return to heat. Stir constantly and cook until bubbles start to form. Take off heat and add vanilla. Let cool.
4. For the icing: Combine Greek yogurt, pureed strawberry, and powdered sugar. Mix with a blender. Chill in fridge before icing cake.
5. When cake is completely cooled, spread lemon curd over the first layer and icing over the top layer. Top with fresh strawberries and enjoy.