Most people are suspicious of cauliflower, and for good reason. It has a weird smell and tastes kind of like clean feet. However, in this recipe, the cauliflower is completely transformed. Not only is the stereotypical creepiness of the cauliflower absent, it tastes like something you’d find at a deep-fat-fryer-obsessed Italian restaurant. Not healthy at all. (Don’t be fooled; it is actually very healthy.)
It involves a process called “ricing,” in which you process the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice in size. Then microwave it (without adding water) for about five minutes. I think this is the step in which all the magic happens and the cauliflower-ness apparates out.
This really does resemble bread – without the empty carbs. It is great for those health conscious eaters out there, but good enough even for people whose first concern is taste. It’s got taste in the bag.
Cheesy Cauliflower “Bread”
1/2 head cauliflower
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp ground flax
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup parmesan
Cheddar or other favorite cheese for topping
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Rice the cauliflower by processing in food processor until it resembles rice in size. Put in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
2. While cauliflower is cooking, chop garlic and place in a bowl with seasoning, parmesan, flax, and oatmeal. When cauliflower is done, add to garlic mixture immediately and stir until well combined. Let mixture cool before adding the egg. Add egg and mix well.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place mixture on parchment paper and press down in a circular shape. Press it well (should be thin and resemble pizza crust).
4. Place in 425F oven and cook until golden brown (about 20 minutes). Remove from oven and top with cheddar or other favorite cheese. Return to oven (this time on broil) and cook until the cheese bubbles.
5. Serve with soup, steak, or marina sauce. Eat it for breakfast or dessert. LOVE IT.